Sunday, March 2, 2008

Blog 11 - Lost Boys

I was out at sea when I saw the huge fire and smoke drifting everywhere. I told my crew to go and anchor at the shore of the island. I wonder what kind of people could have caused this kind of chaos. Then I could hear many ululations from the distance and a boy ran onto the sand. He was rolling in the sand and looked as if he was about to killed. I walked up to him and he cowered at my feet. He cried for mercy and stood up ready to face death.He looked confused but relieved when he saw me standing in front of him. I couldn't tell if he was a native to this island or if he had gotten stranded on this island.
"Hullo," I said.
"Hullo," he answered back.
Aha, so he was British. Other boys started arriving onto the shore of the island. There faces were painted and they had been carrying spears. I could visualize all the boys trying to start this fire, heaving logs and rocks together to try to make it. It probably went crazy and they didn't know what to do. Or maybe they were in a war and trying to kill each other with the fire, I shuddered at this thought.
I told the boy we had seen the smoke, and tried to comfort him with a smile. I asked him if they had been having a war, he nodded yes. "Nobody killed, I hope? Any dead bodies?" I asked jokingly.
"Only two," he said with a completely serious face.
"Two? Killed?" I asked in shock. He nodded again. I couldn't grasp the thought of these once innocent boys killing each other. I wanted him to elaborate, but didn't know if I could handle the gruesome details. I whistled nervously.
Then a littles boy came up to me and tried to tell me his name. Sadly, he couldn't remember it. I turned back to the boy I first met and told him we would take him and all the others back home. I asked how many there were, but none of them knew. I asked who the leader was and the boy I first talked to answered again "I am," he said loudly. I was disappointed that the boys had turned savage so easily. The boy tried to tell me they used to all be together, but that everything had changed. Then he started to cry, long sobs of sorrow and relief jumbled together. The others joined in and soon all the boys were crying. I turned away, and tried to give them some time to pull themselves together. I looked back at my cruiser, wondering if we would all make it through this war and wondered if wars in general would ever end.

No comments: