Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Blog 4 - The Ship

Today started liked all the other days. We were building huts, hunting, relaxing in the sun, playing, and keeping the signal fire alive. The ocean was beautiful and was opalescent in the sun. And once in a while we would see parts of land that would slowly vanish because they weren't actually there, it was just our minds playing tricks on us. Piggy calls them mirages. I think this is absolutely preposterous, because who would ever name something mirage, it's just abnormal.
At the time I was in the bathing pool. As I looked across the shore I could see the littluns building sand castles and having small quarrels what seemed to be about arguments of irrelevance. A little away from those kids was Jack, Bill, Sam and Eric and then Roger joined them. They were smearing clay on there faces to blend in to their surroundings. Jack is so naive, pigs won't be fooled by simple paint markings. He is so obsessed with catching a pig, I think he becoming mad. I'm sure glad everyone didn't vote Jack as our leader, everything would be total chaos.
It started to get hot under the tree so I decided to sit under the shade of a palm tree. I look out into the horizon hoping to see a ship in the ocean. There was no sign of a ship from what I could see. There was just Simon and Maurice playing in the water. Then Piggy spotted me and joined me under the tree. He started to talk about building a clock. Who needs a clock when your stranded on an island, there's no use for those things. After a while, I began to notice something in the distance. It was smoke! It must be a ship! I yelled it to everyone around me. When Piggy heard this, he asked if we had a signal fire going. I wasn't sure, Jack and the hunters were in charge of that. What if there's no fire? I quickly hurried up the mountain and the others followed. If there wasn't a fire, I would need Piggy's glasses. There was no time to go back and get them. I finally got to the top of the mountain and the fire was out and the ship was gone. "They let the bloody fire go out," I said to the others when they arrived. As we looked at what used to be the fire in disbelief, Jack and the hunters came into view. They were chanting and were holding a bundle between them. They looked like total fools. They had abandoned the fire and let us all down with their childish behavior. They were so excited that they had killed a pig and disregarded the fact that they let the fire go out. They told us about how they crept up on the pig and gyrated around it in a circle and killed it. I told him about the ship that passed. I told them they weren't supposed to leave and let the fire go out. Jack had an incredulous look on his face and became uneasy at the implications of everything being his fault. He argued that he needed everyone to catch the pig. I told him we could have gone home. Piggy was outraged at Jack's behavior and told him in a shrill voice that his obsession with hunting ruined everything. A smaller hunter began to whimper and cry at the thought of their missed chance to go home. Jack and Piggy kept arguing. Then Jack started mimicking Piggy in a malevolent tone. Jack got so angry that he broke one side of Piggy's glasses. All I could think of was my resentment towards Jack. "That was a dirty trick," I told him. He finally apologized for leaving the fire but didn't say anything to Piggy. "Light the fire," I said.
After we lit the fire, we roasted the pig. We ate and the hunters told stories, all while Jack kept arguing with the others. I couldn't stand the way our society was establishing, thing had to change. " I'm calling an assembly."

No comments: