Monday, February 25, 2008

Blog 8 - Simon

Ralph and the others had just come back from the search for the beast. Ralph, Roger, and Jack were talking about how they saw the beast on top of the mountain. The littluns were tremulous at the thought of the beast actually existing, but it can't be true. A beast known for evil and savagery just cannot exist on such a beautiful island. It's not logical. Then Ralph started talking about how we needed to light the signal fire again. Jack, for the first time ever, decided to call a meeting. First he started to talk about how the beast and then he started insulted Ralph's leadership. It was ridiculous, he was just doing that because he wanted to be the leader. He asked everyone if they thought Ralph shouldn't be chief. Only Jack raised his hand. He should have known that everyone respected Ralph more than him. At this, Jack started to tear up and placed a steadfast gaze on Ralph. He said he was going to go off on his own and didn't want to play this game anymore. Then he ran off along the beach and into the forest.
We continued our meeting and I got up the courage to talk in the meeting. I said we should go up the mountain so I could prove there wasn't a beast. Then Piggy took charge and said the most important thing to do right now was to start a fire. He suggested we move the fire down here and everyone agreed that was a good idea. Then we built and lit the fire. Some people started leaving to go join Jack, Ralph started to worry. I left to go relax and think things out in my sanctuary among the trees, creepers, and animals. I crawled inside the woven open space and sat quietly. I started to get thirsty, but I just kept sitting.
After a while, I started to hear a squealing pig and Jack and some of the others. I looked around and spotted a pig collapsed on the ground, the boys were surrounding it. They were brutally killing it and making a mockery of its life. They're such blood thirsty nits.
Jack cleaned out the guts and said they were going to have a feast. The he cut off the pig's head and sharpened to ends of a stick. He put the head on the stick, stuck the stick in the ground and said he would leave it for the beast. They left to go start a fire.
The head stared at me with a grin. I tried to look away and close my eyes, but the image was imprinted in my mind. Run away, go back child, the head said silently. I tried to close my eyes and tell myself this wasn't happening. All I could think about were the flies sucking the sweat off my face and the pig head staring at me. I gazed into the pigs emotionless eyes. I could hear the pig's voice in my head. It called me batty and silly. It knew all these things about me, like it had been watching all of us the whole time we were on the island. Watching us start to slowly go insane and die one by one. The head asked me if I was scared of it, and told me it was the beast and would never go away. Something that could not be killed, but lurking deep inside me, something that couldn't be escaped. It cackled menacingly.My chest got tight and I couldn't breath. I started to get dizzy. It said that we were going to have fun or the others would kill me. I started to black out and lost consciousness.
I woke up the next morning confused as ever. I asked the head what I should do, but there was no reply. I knew I had to go find out for myself if there really was a beast. I walked through the forest and up the mountain. By the time I got close to the top my legs were weak and my tongue throbbed with pain. I could see a humped thing looking down on me. When I finally to the top I found that there was no beast, but there was a dead man stuck in a parachute. I felt bad for the poor body that should be rotting away on the ground. It was stuck on a rock so I untangled the parachute so the body could corrupt into dirt in peace. I could not believe that all are fears and troubles on the island were just a figment of our imagination and the "beast" turned out to be a dead body. I went back down the mountain to tell everyone the good news.
By the time I got back it was dark out. I ran out of the forest to a party of chanting boys acting crazing, they have gotten so savage. The littluns screamed as I came out and I couldn't understand why. I stumbled into the middle of the circle, I yelled out the news about the dead man on the hill. No one seemed to be listening or care, they seemed to caught up in their game. Their spears were pointed at me. Oh, no! They think I am the beast! There is no way I can escape this cruel murder they are about to commit on me! I tried to tell the about the dead man before it was too late. I was on my knees and then tried to walk forward. I fell over a rock and onto the sand by the water. Everything felt like it was in slow motion. The crowd moved toward me and struck me with their spear. The gnawed at my skin and ripped me apart with their teeth and claws. Tears trickled down my cheeks as I died painfully slow, a feeling as if you were being stabbed over and over again by a knife. I could see myself getting torn apart, with each rip getting a little closer to death. I thought of all the things about never got to do, I just want to go home, but the hope of being able to do that was long gone.
My blood was staining the sand and was getting washed away in they rain that poured onto me, each drop stinging my skin. The crowd ran away as the parachutist flew off the mountain and out towards sea. My lifeless body moved out into the sea, back into nature, where I always belonged.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maya,

I like the way that you have Simon go over the day step by step as things happened. And I loved the way that you truly showed Simon's connection to nature. By saying "A beast known for evil and savagery just cannot exist on such a beautiful island. It's not logical." I also like the way you show Simon's encounter with the Lord of the Flies. "Run away, go back child, the head said silently. I tried to close my eyes and tell myself this wasn't happening. All I could think about were the flies sucking the sweat off my face and the pig head staring at me. I gazed into the pigs emotionless eyes. I could hear the pig's voice in my head. It called me batty and silly. It knew all these things about me, like it had been watching all of us the whole time we were on the island." I really like in this how you show us that Simon thinks he is talking to an actual person that had been watching them the whole time on the island. I also enjoyed when you showed us how even though he wasn't completely dead on Earth he could already see himself being attacked, and slowly falling to the trap of death.

One thing that i found in your blog that you should probably fix is in some sentences you use the wrong spelling of a word. Here is one example."The he cut off the pig's head and sharpened to ends of a stick.It should be "and sharpened a stick at TWO end." and you should say Then He, instead of The He.

-- Katie Brooks

Anthony R. said...

I really liked how explained every little detail that happened in the book and in sequantiel order however maybe he could describe the people's emotions a little more

-Robles

Markusballa said...

I loved who you should Simon and how he did everything.